Social Theory, Politics, and the Arts Conference
September 21-23, 2023 | Lexington, KY USA
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Registration is done through ExOrdo. You will need to create an account in order to register.
Reserve your lodging now to ensure you receive the STPA Discount Rate of $149 at 21c Museum Hotel. Rooms are available from September 19-24.
The conference hotel is now sold out. There are several other downtown hotel options that are within walking distance (less than 1 mile) of the conference activities.
The Sire Hotel Lexington
Hyatt Regency Lexington
Residence Inn by Marriott, Lexington City Center
The Manchester Hotel
Less expensive options are available outside of downtown at hotels or AirBnB. You would need to drive or use a ride-share service.
Find an overview of all the activities taking place the week of September 20-23 on location in Lexington, Kentucky.
Direct Flights to Lexington, KY (LEX)
RENT A CAR
If you are flying in and out of Cincinnati or Louisville, it will be easiest to rent a car.
Wine & Dine
Walking Distance from Hotel
Bourbon on Rye | 115 W. Main Street | .1 mile | $$
Budda Lounge | 109 N. Mill Street | .1 mile | Sushi | $$
Carson’s Food & Drink | 362 E. Main Street | .5 mile | American | $$$
Corto Lima | 101 Short Street | .1 mile | Latin-inspired | $$
Dudley’s on Short | 259 Short Street | .1 mile | Fine Dining | $$
Frank & Dino’s | 271 Short Street | .1 mile | Italian | $$$
Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint | 155 N. Limestone | .2 mile | Burgers | $$
Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse | .1 mile | 1014 W. Vine Street | Steak house | $$$$
Le Deauville | 199 N. Limestone | .2 mile | French | $$$
Nic & Norman’s | 135 W. Main Street | .1 mile | American | $$
Sidebar Grill | 147 Limestone | .1 mile | Burgers | $
Tony’s of Lexington | 401 Main Street | .2 mile | Steak house | $$$
Zim’s Cafe | 215 W. Main Street | .1 mile | Southern Cooking | $$
Worth a Drive (Uber)
Coles 735 Main | 735 E Main Street | 1.2 miles | Fine Dining | $$$
Merrick Inn | 1074 Merrick Drive | 4.5 miles | Southern Fare | $$$
OBC Kitchen | 3373 Tates Creek Road | 4.2 miles | Gastropub | $$$
Giuseppe’s Ristorante Italiano | 4456 Nicholasville Road | 6 miles | Italian | $$$
Lexington Distillery District | 1228 Manchester Street | 1.6 miles
The Distillery District is a revitalized piece of Lexington history and home to the recently renovated James E. Pepper Distillery, as well as two modern bourbon distilleries, bars, breweries, restaurants, music venues, independent retailers, and more. With so many options in such a lively area, it’s no wonder that the Distillery District has quickly become one of Lexington’s most exciting hotspots.
- Mary Todd Lincoln House was home to the first lady.
- If you are a political history buff, the Henry Clay Estate is also worth seeing.
- The Kentucky Horse Park is a must-see destination for horse lovers – you can even go for horseback rides.
- The horse farm tours are educational and fun.
- While Keeneland, our race track, won’t be open with races, it is one of the most beautiful race tracks in the country. It is worth a visit!
- You really shouldn’t visit Kentucky without at least one Distillery Tour. Maybe plan on visiting one of your favorite bourbon distilleries! You can sign-up for a group tour with STPA on Thursday, September 21 in ExOrdo ($15).
Outside of Lexington
Kentucky itself is quite beautiful. If you are sticking around for a few days, get out and explore!
- Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge are very popular destinations for hiking and soaking in the natural beauty of KY. It is about one hour from Lexington. If you don’t feel like hiking, you can even take the Skylift!
- Berea is another fun day trip. It is the folk art capital of KY with an artisan village and Berea College, one of the last four colleges in the country that is tuition-free for students.
- Shaker Village is a lovely restored old Shaker community. There are great tours of the buildings, a farm where you can see their animals, there is a pretty tasty farm-to-table restaurant and a cute little shop.
- If you want some city time, Louisville is just an hour away with lots of cool things to do.